Sunday, November 10, 2013

Virtual Race Recap: The Dynamic Duel

Today I ran the virtual 5k in support of the Team in Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I haven't done any running since Halloween! This virtual 5k race was just the thing I needed to get myself off my butt and out the door. We spent most of the day in Charlottetown today, and on the way home I decided today was the day.

When we got home, I tried printing off my race bib... "tried" being the operative word there. What is with me and printers/copiers/scanners?! I had to get Red Fox to come inside to print it off for me. While he was working on that, I went to get into my running clothes. I couldn't find my running toque and my Garmin was dead. I decided to use one of the (many) apps I have on my phone to track my run, but of course since getting my Garmin I haven't used them. I had to download updates for them; the first one messed up, so I had to start all over with another... all the while I'm standing at the end of the driveway, freezing, with Molly Dog barking her fool head off at me! Finally, I got my phone set up, and I was off and running, hoping Molly wouldn't follow.

I ran to the beach and back twice. It's a somewhat boring route, considering I do it twice, but the scenery can't be beat, and it doesn't include That Damn Hill that's on the River Rd. It wasn't an easy run for me. Because I haven't run since Halloween, I'm a little out of practice. I just kept thinking about the warm fire and coffee waiting for me when I finished.

When I got back to the driveway at what should have been the 5k point it's 1.3k from the driveway to the beach), I looked at my phone and it said 4.8k, so I turned around and kept going. I'm not sure why it was off by so much, but that last 0.2 was the worst!

I finished in 30:43, which certainly isn't my best, but not my worst either! I was happy to do this race in support of such a great cause, and thanks to Laura for organizing Team Canada!

Finish photo, lighthouse on my route, and my distance/time/pace.



4 comments:

  1. Oh I completely forgot about this one! :( I love how you said 'many apps' on your phone, lol. My phone is loaded with running apps too!

    Coffee post-run = the best idea ever!

    And I think we can all agree that those 'darn' PEI hills are nothing to sniff at! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recap! And your pic is great! I'm a little in awe that your 30 minute time isn't your best. I've NEVER been that fast. Maybe ONCE if I remember correctly, but that was a PB and it was before having my second child. Since then, I haven't gotten close to that number.

    Thanks for running this! :) And if the comment above me wants to run it too, she still has time, definitely! :D (Secret: We might even extend the deadline to sign up and the time to run to add another weekend to the race week).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness....I'd have been so frustrated with the printer and the apps and everything! Kudos to you for not giving up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the room for Sat.
    Soooo get ready for Sunday's run, Momma will be there.

    ReplyDelete