Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Twin Shores 5k Race Recap (post 1 of 2 for today!)

When I was planning my training schedule, I tried to work in as many races as I could. But with my weekly long runs getting longer and longer, that "disqualified" many of the weekend races around here.

However, Mondays are always 5k's. And yesterday, there was a 5k race at the Twin Shores camp ground, which worked perfectly for my first day of week 2. It was a Canada Day run in support of the IWK (For those of you who don't live here, that's the children's hospital).

Twin Shores is relatively near by... only 20 minutes, as opposed to the typical 45-60 minutes to Charlottetown where most races are! I got up at 6 to eat, and then woke up Red Fox at 7. I said "It's 7", and he said "SO?!" and then groaned when I reminded him of the race. haha I assumed people would be dressed in their Canada day stuff, but I didn't really have anything. I wore a white yoga top which has red trim, but I wanted more. So... I cut up a red sheet to sew a little running skirt! I also pulled out red-and-white striped Christmas socks (I had to fold the tops of them down inside... they have a green decoration at the top to resemble elf boots LOL).


We got to the camp ground at 8 for registration, and I got a t-shirt for being one of the first 50 people to register. It was too big for me, so I gave it to a family of 5; someone would wear it! The race started at 9, so between registration and the race, Red Fox went to K-town for coffee and made it back with 10 minutes to spare. I'm glad I didn't go too, I would have been so anxious about missing it!

Before the race started, they had a young lady sing Oh Canada. I'm HOPING that the runners all sang so quietly (or not at all) just so they could hear her beautiful singing voice... Right, runners?? It was Canada Day after all! After the anthem, off we went. Of course, people were streaming past me, but then I settled in with a few other ladies. It was warm and humid, but not too bad. I felt good, and felt like I was running well.


The course was an out-and-back, and I wasn't even at the 2k point when the first people passed us on their way back. I clapped and cheered for them, which enticed a few others to do so also. I made sure to cheer for the first few female runners too, and for a few others along the way, like the first kid (way ahead of me!). Along the course, they had funny signs up. One of them said "Running is 90% mental..." and the next one said "... and 10% crazy!". I had some water at the 2.5k turn around, but I wish I hadn't. It always makes me feel crampy.

On the way back, I tried to keep my pace up, and for the last km it was a struggle. I could see Red Fox by his truck, with his mom and Little Fox. Little Fox was jumping and clapping and yelling "go mommy"! I walked a few steps now and then, but still finished with a time of 28:24 (down a few seconds from the 28:40 at the runway run!).


After I finished, I went over to grab a banana and water, and met up with Red and Little Fox. Little Fox had found a plastic medal on the grass that he was very proud to give to me (now that I think about it, it was probably from the kid's race they had at the same time).


Overall, I thought it was a pretty good race. The signs were a nice touch, the registration seemed to go smoothly, and everyone was in good spirits. The course was slightly longer than 5k, and my garmin gives me a different time than the race time, but... *shug* it was all in fun.

Distance: 5.17k
Time: 28:41 (garmin) 28:24 (posted)
Pace: 5:33/km

Splits
1 - 5:20
2 - 5:34
3 - 5:35                              
4 - 5:39
5 - 5:32
last 0.17 - 1:02

The rest of Canada day was spent with family and friends... another post coming right up!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you lived so close to Twin Shores! That's my favourite spot on PEI. I've been camping there since I was a baby (back when it wasn't so big and busy!). Did the race course take you close to the beach? It's one of the nicest beaches around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no beach views! I hoped it would, but it was just down the main road into the camping area. I'd like to go back someday and check out the scenery.

      Delete
  2. Erin,
    you are one crafty gal to sew a skirt! Mine would probably fall apart after 1km!! lol.

    Incorporating races into your schedule is a good idea for speed conditioning. Don't stress about juggling your schedule either to meet your needs. As long as you are getting a long run in per week plus a few other shorter ones, you'll be fine. One thing I read a while back always stuck with me though: "You can do a long run a day after a race, but it's not a good idea to race the day after a long run." I always keep that in mind when juggling training runs.

    Cheers,
    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete